Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Meal Planning

My friends are always asking me to share my Monthly Menu with them so they don't have to think about it. So here goes..But first a quick note on organizing all this.

As previously stated in my Organizing Meals Post you can use google calendar to plan your menu. The easiest thing for me is to use my portable monthly calendar (more on that in another post) to quickly plan it out. I plan my menu while I'm waiting for my son during piano, it really doesn't have to take that long if you break it down. For instance I force myself to use a whole chicken at least for one meal a week. I put it in the crock-pot with lemon pepper, seasoned salt and garlic salt on low for at least 8 hours(I've forgotten about it and left it overnight and it turns out great--you can't mess this up) A whole chicken once shredded makes for great lunches and soups etc...and it also freezes really well.

Then I basically break it down like this:(Sorry to be so repetitive, I've written this in another post)
Mon-Mexican
Tue-Pasta
Wed-Something Easy
Thu-Whatever or asian..
Fri-Homemade Pizza & Dessert
Sat-Something New
Sun-Something Good (comfort food)

**Disclaimer...I only plan for the main dish, obviously salads, breads, and sides can be added. Also, my meals are so not gourmet by any means.

Another note. In my recipe binder, on the inside pocket I keep print-outs of recipes to try. When I plan the monthly menu I plug those in first.
So here goes...4 weeks of meals

Week 1
Beef Fajitas
Creamy Fettucine (Martha Stewart)
Homemade Hamburgers & Fries
Tortilla Soup
Chicken Pizza & Brownies
Rosemary Chicken
NOT COOKING THIS EASTER SUN..YAY!

Week 2
Tacos
Stuffed Shells
Chicken Salad Sandwiches(on croissants) fruit salad
Potatoe Soup
Pizza & Fruit Cobbler (whatever fruit I find in the store)
Breakfast for Dinner(French Toast, sausage, fruit)(sometimes we have Belgian Waffles)
Roast Potatoes, green beans

Week 3
Chicken Burritos
Creamy Fettucine With Chicken
Tacos
Beef Stroganof
Pizza
Chicken Lomein

Lasagna

Week 4
Chicken Fajitas
Penne Pasta with Golden mushroom sauce (and seasonal veggies..zuchinni and whatever I find at the store)
Nathan's Hot Dogs with everything (the only ones I'll eat and my kids will love this)
Free DAY!
Pizza
Lemon Fusilli with Arugula
Chicken Chili


I also use a Spreadsheet where I put my grocery list along with this menu. I'll try to save it as a PDF or just leave a comment if you want it. ◦
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Super B said...

That all sounds so good. And you are so organized. I made the golden mushroom sauce the other day and used mostly zucchini and added a bit of fresh spinach. So yummy!

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

We are doing a lot of menu planning on our blog right now, spreadsheet and all. It is so nice to have a plan.