Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I'm in Painting He$#

Painting furniture: Warnings

I will post a pic soon.

I'm a failure at painting. I hate it. I'm in the process of painting a table and chairs, and kid chairs and frames and those barrell chairs by the piano.. and after making every mistake in the book I've realized I need an air compressor and a spray gun attachment..both of which I don't have. I've been sanding, priming, painting and spray painting for 3 days now and I'm miserable. I want my life back. Any advice?

here's what hasn't worked.
sanding, priming with oil based primer, painting with latex semi- gloss: the problem: the finish is cakey and the paint is peeling (yes I let it dry in between coats)

Spray painting: Works but you need too much of it so it's not cost effective..plus the pieces smell like toxic fumes

Painting deciding you hate the finish sanding and then repainting is the worse. I now have to strip my kids 2 chairs

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!
if you are expecting a phone call, a card, or a handmade baby gift from me..my apologies. You'll get them when I'm done scrapping the paint off my body and when I've successfully rehydrated my body from being in the hot Florida sun for hours. Oh and when I can comfort my children enough so they don't feel abandoned or mistreated.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought you weren't supposed to mix oil and laytex? Anyhow, I can't wait to see the results. I feel your pain sistah! Yes, you really need an air compressor/sprayer. Rent one?

Jennifer said...

I think it's peeling because your putting latex over oil-based primer. I just learned this lesson myself ...

and I don't enjoy painting either! which is why I'm living with half-painted kitchen cabinets and trim at the moment ...