Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Grateful he's still only four

My son should be in preschool. But he's not. Last year and the year before I was working full-time. I taught 7th & 8th grade Language Arts and Reading. I felt so much guilt for having my boy in daycare, I couldn't bear it. Working outside the home is not for me--and to add to the discomfort of it all, I really wasn't happy with my job. I became a teacher sort of by default (but that's a whole other post), and while I grew to love my students, I missed my son too much. By the way, I have a serious problem with the word full-time mom, working outside the home and being fully involved in your kids life are not mutually exclusive. I've always been a full-time mom.

I am so grateful that I am now doing what I'm meant to be doing, I get to stay home. Having another baby on the way really solidified my decision. I was not prepared to put an infant in daycare. I love being home with these two kids, taking care of my home and my husband. I love it all, even the bad days are good days.

So back to the beginning..I keep my four year old home and I use my teaching experience to teach him. Everyday we work on letters, writing, Math, and his favorite, Art. Next year he'll be five, next year he'll start Kindergarten, next year I will miss him all day long while he's gone but for now, he's only four and were enjoying every minute of it.


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Unknown said...

4 is so much fun! I think it is such a blessing when you find the right rhythm for you and your family!

Liz Harrell said...

He's so adorable! Kids grow up too fast already, I'm glad you guys have this time together.